May’n derived her artist name from her given name, Mei, and it demonstrates her hope to always “sing songs that will be everyone’s ‘main’ theme.” She was a finalist in the HoriPro Talent Scout Caravan “Love Music Audition” in 2003 and made her major debut at 15 in 2005. Since then, she has produced music in a variety of genres, including pop, rock, dance, and R&B, and been at the top of the charts for numerous TV anime, drama, movie and game theme songs.
She has been the singing voice of the Macross Frontier character Sheryl Nome in 2008-2009, releasing several songs such as Diamond Crevasse / Iteza Gogo Kuji Don't be late and Lion. She also performed Scarlet Ballet, the opening of Aria the Scarlet Ammo, Chase the World for Accel World, or Yamaidare darlin for Aquarion Logos. Recently, she has sung You for The Ancient Magus’ Bride and lately, Graphite/Diamond for the anime Azur Lane.
In addition to holding solo concerts over 5 times at prestigious venues in Japan such as Nippon Budokan and Yokohama Arena, she started going on world tours since 2010.
May’n has held over 90 live performances globally, including solo performances in cities and countries all around the world, including San Francisco, Los Angeles, France, Germany, Korea, Shanghai, Hangzhou, Chengdu, Guangzhou, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, and Indonesia. She has also performed as the closing act at 9 music festivals in 7 countries. In 2018, May’n held a nationwide concert tour in 5 cities celebrating the 10th anniversary of her debut as “May’n”.
Beside her singing career, May’n made her theatrical debut in the world premiere musical adaptation of Akira KUROSAWA’s Ikiru presented in commemoration of the 20th anniversary of the death of the famous director, in which she was selected for and created the female lead role. In her first stage production, May’n received strong reviews for her acting and singing skills.
May’n received the Rock Artist Award at Weibo Account Festival in Japan 2018 held by Weibo, the largest social network service in China, and in 2019 was honored at the Asian Music Festival 2019 with the Best Live Performance Award. She continues to move audiences both in Japan and around the world with her powerful voice and performance abilities.
And she has a lot going on in 2020 too, having started an acoustic tour in January that will go on into March. And she is about to celebrate the 15th anniversary of her career this summer! So come celebrate this event with her at Japan Expo: she will be the festival Music Guest of Honor and will be holding signings. And there's more:
Selection of anime titles
- Fallin’ in or Not (2006) for Love Get Chu
- Diamond Crevasse / Iteza Gogo Kuji Don't be late (2008) as Sheryl Nome for Macross Frontier
- Lion (2008) as Sheryl Nome for Macross Frontier
- Kimi Shinitamô Koto Nakare (2009) for Shangri-La
- Pink Monsoon (2009) as Sheryl Nome for Macross Frontier: Itsuwari no Utahime
- Scarlet Ballet (2011) for Aria the Scarlet Ammo
- Brain Diver (2011) for Phi Brain: Puzzle of God
- Chase the World (2012) for Accel World
- ViViD (2013) for Blood Lad
- Kyo ni Koiro (2014) for Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha
- Yamaidare darlin’ (2015) for Aquarion Logos
- One in a Billion (2017) for Restaurant to Another World
- You (2018) for The Ancient Magus’ Bride
- Kiba to Tsubasa (2019) for Kochoki: Wakaki Nobunaga
- Graphite/Diamond (2019) for Azur Lane